Uploading POI
07-13-2008, 05:22 AM
Uploading POI
Greetings Mooncoder:

Your program is very beautiful. Thank you for your great work.

I am wondering if there is a way to edit POIs on my computer (say, by creating a file or a list-in-a-file and then converting to your format), and then uploading them to my Palm. I do not need 'goto' functionality, I just wish to have those points on the map.

I know, hypothetically, that I could find a map of what I wish to visit, mark the point visually/graphically on there, and load the map and have it follow the GPS. However, I'd also like to store information about each point similar to a POI.

Also, I am wondering if there is a way to save information of travel like a 'track', i.e. multiple GPS readings stored together. I do not have the need to follow it, rather, I just need to save a bunch of 'POIs' or points from a non-moving location to later try to help determine the statistical precision of the GPS reading.

This would be, if you haven't guessed, for field work. I can navigate from the point to point I need to visit, but it would be nice to see those points on the map, be able to take notes on them, and be able to take multiple readings at one point for precision analysis later (I am saying this so you can suggest alternate methods if you like).

I am also currently using the trial version (I am thinking that may make a difference) since I am trying to figure out whether it will serve my needs before purchase.

I am currently using an SD Card and Filez (not hotsync) to load programs and extract and load waypoint databases from other GPS programs, so please feel free to give me the straight shooter on file manipulation.

Thank you again, for both your nice work on this program and for your help.
Cora
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2008, 06:01 AM
RE: Uploading POI
Hello Cora,

Yes, you can

1) make a map with the fields you like (not just Name, Info, Value, Importance, but any number and type of fields),
2) convert between PMAP and and a number of formats (comma-separated values, shapefile, xml/kml...),
3) make a PMAP file with your GPS locations while you move (it is "logging"),
4) use on-line services like GPS tracking or synchronizing your maps with the server.

Perhaps you could try and create/edit a shapefile with locations (points), using for example one of the free desktop GIS programs,
http://udig.refractions.net/
or
http://www.qgis.org/

and then you will be able to convert the shapefile to PMAP and see it on your device. Let me know if you need further help,

Best wishes,

Mac
11-15-2010, 11:59 PM
RE: Uploading POI
Well, uploading POI was not that bad as it seemed to be. The only issue was that there were not much step by step guides given anywhere so as to know much about it. The program is really nice and wonderful so uploading POI is not at all difficult. The only area where you could get confused is making the maps, which in my opinion may startle you to an extent. In order to avoid confusion you can learn the latitude and longitude of the map before you make the map of your desired fields!